Sunday, July 20, 2008

My Father-in-law....

Two years ago today we lost a great man. Dave was the kind of person that would give you the shirt off his back if he knew that you needed it. He loved spending time with family. I think that his favorite time of the year was Christmas when all the kids came home. He was the BEST stocking stuffer there ever was. We always ended up with more things then could ever fit into the stocking. I remember one time when they came to visit us he overheard me telling Marcus that I needed some kitchen utensils and when we went there for Christmas that year what was in my stocking but the kitchen utensils that I had asked for. Another time they were visiting I told Marcus that while we were out we needed to run by walmart to get a few things and while we were there I needed to get some more towels and washclothes. Well we went to walmart and left them in the car, or at least we thought we had, we got the things from the grocery side and went over to household goods and there was Dave getting us some towels and washclothes. He was a giver and loved doing it. He loved talking to Marcus about trains, planes and history. They would stay up until all hours of the night talking. When they talked on the phone he wanted to know all about the plane or helicopter that Marcus was flying and how it was put together and how it ran. I never understood how they could talk for hours about an engine of a plane but they could. They would take it apart and put it back together piece by piece. Marcus loved talking to his Dad!!! We were talking the other day about Dave and Marcus was telling me that you never wanted to go into a museum about trains, history or planes with his Dad. He said that you had to get up at the break of dawn to get ready to go and then you were there when the doors opened and left when they closed. I'm so happy that Marcus has such great memories of his Dad.
Marcus and I miss him so much! We don't understand why God took him so soon, but know that he is in a better place and that we will see him someday! We love you Dave!!!

4 comments:

Lucydolls' ramblings said...

Julie ~ That is a great tribute to a great man.

Lisa said...

Hi Julie! Just checking in and getting back from camp...in which I saw your two sisters at! :) I saw your chic recipe and I'm not sure if it was for me or your other Lisa :) nevertheless I wrote it down and will try it! I have one similar to it...but yours looks yummy!!! Have a good day!

SheilaDy said...

What sweet memories of your father in law!!

Jennifer Truitt said...

David was a great man! I didn't know him super well but all the memories I have of him are great!! Some things we will just never understand here on this earth!
I finally got my blog up and going. It is truitttimes.blogspot.com Love you all!