Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Best Potato Soup...............

I found this recipe in one of the many Gooseberry Patch cookbooks that I have. Marcus and I have decided that this is the best potato soup that we have ever eaten!!

~Creamy Bacon Potato Soup~
4 bacon slices, crisply cooked and crumbled (4 is not enough) save the drippings~ 1 onion chopped~ 1 t. garlic minced~ 1/2 t. dried oregano~ Salt and Pepper to taste~ 6 potatoes peeled and cubed~ 2 14.5 oz cans of chicken broth~ 2 T all purpose flour~ 3 cups milk divided~ 1 cup smoked cheese grated~ (I used more then that) 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese grated~ (again I used more) Garnish with fresh chives chopped.
In saucepan, place one tablespoon bacon drippings, onion, garlic and oregano. Saute until onions are translucent. Season with salt and pepper, add potatoes and chicken broth. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 35 minutes. Blend flour with 1/4 cup of milk, stir into potato mixture. Stir in remaining milk and cheeses until smooth. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with bacon and chives.I put some of the bacon in it with the cheeses and let it cook. It made it taste really good.Hope that you enjoy!! We did!!

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Sounds good - I will have to try it. I LOVE potato soup!!! :-)

Trisha said...

Hi Julie! Hope you are doing well. I will have to try your potato soup, too. Trisha